If you want to know more about the state of your flight than what’s shown on this page, you’ll need to sign up for a free Delta Air Lines account first (don’t worry, it’s easy). Once you’ve signed up, you’ll be able to see things like gate assignments and information about where to claim your bags. You’ll also get email updates if anything changes with your trip plans.
Delta Airlines Cancellation Policy Guidelines
You can stop and get a return on your Delta ticket without having to pay a cancellation fee if:
- Your flight is covered by a COVID-19 fee waiver, which is described further down.
- The no-cancellation-fee policy applies to your Delta Airlines ticket (except for Basic Economy):
- Your ticket lets you go anywhere in the United States, Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands.
- Your flight, including planes with joint ventures and codeshare partners, starts in North America and goes anywhere in the world.
- Your flight takes you from the Caribbean to the US/Mexico.
- You buy your ticket straight from Delta and have 24 hours to change or cancel it.
- In Case you want to change flight then read out Delta Airlines Flight Change Policy.
- Your flight is canceled by Delta.
- Your flight is late by more than 120 minutes because of Delta.
- You’ve bought a ticket that can be refunded.
- The passenger or journey partner has died, and you can show proof of it.
- You have an award ticket and are a Delta Platinum or Diamond Medallion member.
- You get a quick order from the military to go somewhere (subject to proof in writing).
- Any special situations that make it impossible for you to make your flight, but only if Delta decides so.
Delta COVID Cancellation Policy
Delta’s policy for canceling COVID flights is now very customer-friendly. No matter what kind of ticket you buy, you should be able to stop your Delta flight without having to pay a huge fee.
Delta is now giving passengers more freedom during the COVID-19 travel waiver time, which finished on April 30, 2021, but with some perks that will last until December 31, 2022, and beyond.
If you bought your Delta ticket during the COVID travel waivers between April 30, 2021, and April 30, 2021:
- Before your flight, you can cancel any ticket, even Basic Economy, without paying a fee.
- After you cancel your ticket, you’ll get an eCredit for the full amount of your ticket.
- You must use your credit to book your new flight within its validity time, which is usually one year after the date it was issued.
Delta 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
All tickets bought straight from Delta Airlines can be changed or canceled up to 24 hours before the flight without penalty. Under this rule, you can cancel any Delta trip within 24 hours and get a full return, no matter what type of fare you have.
Exceptions to Delta’s 24-hour cancellation policy are:
- Any Delta ticket booked from travel agencies
- Paper tickets
- Partially-flown reissued tickets
Delta Airlines Cancellation Policy for Medical Reasons
The cancellation policy of Delta Airlines allows you to rescind your Delta flight reservation for medical or emergency reasons. This policy applies to passengers who become unexpectedly ill prior to their departure and are therefore unable to travel. Your reason for the cancellation must be supported by valid documentation (e.g., a medical certificate), and you must end your flight before it departs.
Delta Weather Cancellation Policy
Under the ticket cancellation policy of Delta Airlines, if your flight is canceled due to extreme weather conditions, you may rescind the flight (or the one offered in its stead) and receive a full refund.
Delta Airlines Military Cancellation Policy
The military cancellation policy of Delta Airlines applies to all military personnel traveling on Delta Airlines. Under this policy, military personnel who receive a deployment order that prevents them from making their flight are permitted to cancel their reservation and receive a full refund.
Delta Award Ticket Cancellation Policy
Award tickets for travel within the United States may be canceled without penalty prior to departure.
Award tickets issued outside of the United States must be canceled at least 72 hours prior to departure for a fixed fee of USD 150, regardless of fare type or destination; however, SkyMiles Platinum and Diamond Medallion members are exempt from this fee.
Delta Airlines Basic Economy Tickets Cancellation Policy
The Delta policy regarding the cancellation of Basic Economy reservations is as follows:
- Tickets for Basic Economy cannot be canceled or refunded after the 24-hour grace period.
- Before departure, Basic Economy tickets purchased on or before 30 April 2021 may be canceled without penalty. After canceling your ticket, you will receive an eCredit for the full value of your booking, which you must use to rebook your new flight by December 31, 2023. This allows you to rebook your ticket until December 31, 2023, and travel until December 31, 2024.
Delta Airlines Cancellation Fee
Delta’s cancellation fees are dependent on the type of ticket purchased and the date of cancellation. Types of tickets include:
- Basic Economy tickets are the most restrictive option.
- Tickets that are non-refundable and have certain restrictions.
- Tickets that can be refunded are the most flexible.
Remember that you must withdraw your ticket prior to the departure of your flight. The following table highlights Delta Airlines’ cancellation policy by fare classification and cancellation period, as well as the associated cancellation fees.
|Delta Flight Cancellation Fee by Fare Type|
|Time Period||Basic Economy Tickets||Non-refundable Ticket Originating within North America||Non-refundable Ticket Originating outside of North America||Refundable/Flex Tickets|
|Within 24 hours of booking||Free of charge||Free of charge||Free of charge||Free of charge|
|After 24 hours of booking||Not allowed*||Free of charge||Remaining ticket value minus a cancellation fee of USD 0-500||Refundable|
|Within 24 hours of departure||Not allowed*||Free of charge||Remaining ticket value minus a cancellation fee of USD 0-500||Refundable|
- Main (refundable or non-refundable)
- Comfort+ (refundable or non-refundable)
- First or Delta One, depending on the aircraft (refundable or non-refundable)
Methods to Cancel Delta Flight
You can cancel a Delta Airlines flight:
- By phone
- Call +1-844-933-2065
- Call the travel agent you purchased your ticket from
- Online or with the Fly Delta mobile app
- At a Delta Airlines sales counter
If you purchased your ticket directly from Delta (website, app, contact center, or sales office), you can rescind it online as described in the following section.
- Go to the official site, Delta.com
- Click on My Trips
- Fill in Your all Information
- Click on the search button
- Select the flight you want to cancel
- Click on Modify Flight
- Choose Start Flight Cancellation
- Complete the flight cancellation process
Delta Award Ticket Cancellation:
You can cancel a Delta award ticket by logging into your SkyMiles account, retrieving your reservation, selecting the Modify Flight icon, and then following the self-explanatory prompts. Your refunded Miles may take several hours to appear in your account.
How to Avoid Paying Delta Cancellation Charges:
- Utilize Delta’s 24-hour risk-free guarantee. The 24-hour DOT rule applies to all domestic flights and allows you to terminate any domestic flight within 24 hours of purchase.
- Buy a refundable fare. They are more expensive, but there are no changes or cancellation fees if your plans change.
- Hold a Delta Medallion Elite status. Gold, Diamond, and Platinum Medallion members are exempt from award travel fees, which typically cost USD 150.
- Observe any changes to flight schedules. For flight delays exceeding two hours, route modifications, or cancellations, you may be eligible for a fee waiver or reduction. In such a case, you will receive an email with the option to alter or cancel your flight.
Delta Airlines Refund
Whether you are eligible for a Delta Airlines refund depends on the details of your ticket, such as the date and method of purchase and the type of fare. If you are not eligible for a refund per Delta’s refund policy, you will receive an eCredit for future travel.
Free 24-Hour Cancellations and Refunds: If you cancel your ticket (regardless of fare class) within the 24-hour window, you will receive an automatic refund to the original payment method. You need only revoke your ticket to avoid any further obligations. After the 24-hour grace period, your refund will depend on the terms of your ticket’s fare.
Refundable Tickets: If you purchased a refundable ticket, you may cancel your reservation and receive a full refund at any time prior to your flight. After canceling your refundable ticket, submit a refund request online with Delta.
Non- Refundable Tickets: Non-refundable tickets do not qualify for a cash refund, but you can receive an eCredit for the remaining value (less any applicable cancellation fees). You can use the credit to purchase another Delta flight ticket within its (now extended) validity period.
How to Apply for a Cancellation Refund?
Within twenty-four hours, you can cancel your ticket and request a full refund online through Delta.com.
- Go to the Delta.com
- Log in if you have a Delta account and select Find My Trips
- Select Manage My Booking
- Select your trip and click on the Cancel Flight button
- Follow the prompts to submit a Delta refund request
Use this online form and select the Cancel Flight button to register for an eCredit if you need to cancel your flight.
If your flight was delayed, canceled, or downgraded in service, and you wish to rescind it and request a refund, use the same online form outlined above, click on the Request Refund button, and complete the rescind and Refund Form that appears on your screen.
- After completing the form, a representative from Delta Airlines will execute your request.
- It typically takes seven business days to process domestic purchases made with a debit or credit card, but it could take up to two accounting cycles for the refund to appear on your account statement.
- If you paid cash or check for your ticket, your refund will be processed within 20 business days.
- If you are eligible for an eCredit, it will be added to your Delta.com account and will be accessible via your ticket number within seven days.
- Your refund or credit will be issued in accordance with the applicable fare rules and waivers.
Delta Flight Cancellation Compensation
If your Delta flight is within the United States or departs from an airport outside of the European Union, U.S. law does not require the airline to compensate passengers for delayed or canceled flights. You are entitled to compensation, however:
- If you are “bumped” from a Delta flight at a non-EU airport due to overbooking.
- If your Delta flight departing from an airport in the European Union is delayed or canceled by three hours or more, or if you are involuntarily removed from it, you will receive a full refund.
|Delta Flight Cancellation Compensation|
|Flights less than 1,500km||Up to EUR 250 per passenger|
|Flights within the EU exceeding 1,500km||Up to EUR 400 per passenger|
|Non-internal EU flights between 1,500 – 3,500km||Up to EUR 400 per passenger|
|Non-internal EU flights exceeding 3,500km||Up to EUR 600 per passenger|
Can I Cancel My Delta Airlines Flight?
Yes, you can, but you have to adhere to the above policy.
Can I Get a Full Refund for My Flight and Ticket Cancellation?
Yes, you can, but you have to check out the refund policy to get a full refund.
Top Trending Searches